Last week I got all of the ingredients in my Bountiful Basket to make salsa verde. We were trying a new recipe that instructed us to boil all of the ingredients on the stove, transfer them into a blender, and blend IN BATCHES. Blend in batches? Why is that necessary? It's only about a pint of salsa and fills maybe 1/3 of my blender. I don't think that we need to do it in batches, I think we'll be good. Poured it all into the blender, started putting the lid on, had a little opening on the lid but figured that wouldn't be a problem. Pressed blend.

EXPLODED!
Not kidding, I have never seen anything like it. These pictures do not do this any justice. The salsa flew up, the pressure knocked off the lid and my hand, salsa flew everywhere! My hands, my face, my shirt, my pants, alex's computer, the counter, the cabinets, the rug, the floor 6 feet away. We have been pretty casualty free in our kitchen so far, but this one seriously topped the charts. And, it was hot! So hot! Burnt my hand!
We laughed, mopped it all up, wiped everything down, talked about blending in BATCHES, but jointly concurred that wasn't necessary. Like I said, the definition of group think...intelligent separately, not so intelligent together sometimes. We figured the problem was just that the lid wasn't on tight enough. Closed the lid all the way, barely pressed pulse.

EXPLODED...AGAIN!
Mopped it up, again, and decided that we better blend in batches. Go figure. No kidding, there is a 1/4 cup in the blender and it almost blew the lid off again. Alex had to hold the lid with both hands while I pushed buttons because the pressure was too much. I've googled it since and indeed, blending hot liquids is a bad idea. We're talking chemical reaction. Now we know.
We finished the salsa, tastes awesome, and will definitely make this recipe again. But next time, although we always love a good salsabration, we will be blending in batches from the beginning.
I had no idea! Thanks for the warning! :)
ReplyDeletehaha! I just saw this post, but it's a good one. Love the pair of you. Plus, that is something I would do--and have done (well the not doing it in batches part)
ReplyDelete