Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beijing Bound - FAQ


Well it is now official - tickets have been booked, bags are packed, apartment is empty. Come August 23 A&W will be Beijing bound!

This is a chapter in our life that we have actually been waiting for a long time to come - well, relatively long. Those who are familiar with our past are not surprised to hear this news, but to most it seems pretty left-field. Besides being random, this is a situation that most people are super unfamiliar with so we thought we'd do a quick Beijing FAQ to fill you in. These are the questions that we have been answering about 6 times a day for the last 4 months...

Q: Why are you moving to China?
A: To live, work, and start our life there. This isn't a joyride, we're looking at this as the next chapter in our life that will hopefully last for a while.

Q: Did Alex get a job there?
A: No, actually, Whitney did. I just finished my Masters in Language Teaching and got a position as an English instructor at a university in Beijing - The Beijing Institute of Technology (BIT).

Q: Does Alex speak Chinese?
A: No, actually, Whitney does. After living in China for six months I learned Chinese and minored in Mandarin back at USU. But Alex is studying and besides finding a job, it is his number one priority for the next year.

Q: Does Whitney wear the pants in this relationship?
A: No, actually, Alex does. This Sugar Mama thing is only short-term.

Q: How long will you be there?
A: At least a year. My contract is for one year so we'll come home next summer to visit for sure, but if we love it we are open to staying for a few years.

Q: What will Alex be doing?
A: Good question. Right now, he's planning on owning and operating his own private rickshaw company. Not. We're hoping to find him a job in the first month we're there. He just finished the MBA program at USU so is a good candidate for employment - pray for us.

Q: Have you guys been there before?
A: Yes, both have. I taught English in Southern China in 2007 for 6 months and Alex just traveled to China with the USU MBA program this spring - he actually visited the university we'll be living at!

Q: Have you found an apartment?
A: Yes, the university (BIT) actually provides us a furnished apartment on campus.

Q: How are your moms doing?
A: They're hanging in there. :)

We are excited for this next chapter in life and are looking forward to all we will learn, grow, see, and experience.


6 comments:

  1. And we couldn't be happier for you!!!!!!! I will call you this week to catch up before you leave!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Whitney! I just found your blog! I love it! We haven't talked since our USU days but I am SO happy for you guys! That will be a FUN FUN adventure! I know you will do great and everything will work out! Wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whitney!! How are you?! Long time no talk! I love that you have a blog, thanks for commenting on mine! I'm totally going to blog stalk you :) How fun on your next adventure!! I'm pretty jealous! I hope you guys have the time of your life! Blogs lots and keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations! sounds like quite the adventure. good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness! That is sooooo exciting! We will miss you guys ( even though we don't see you any way, just being far will make us miss you!) Good luck and keep posting!

    ReplyDelete